Does anyone live in the VIllage?
s***@aol.com
2005-10-04 15:06:22 UTC
It's a question that always seem to arise whenever I mention
Portmeirion to those not versed in its history or purpose. But it's got
me thinking: does anyone actually live in the village? I presume there
must be staff accomodation of some sort, but I've never seen it. Also,
there appears to be some houses on the drive and leading into the
village that could well be occupied by non-hotel guests.
redcat
2005-10-04 15:13:08 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
It's a question that always seem to arise whenever I mention
Portmeirion to those not versed in its history or purpose. But it's got
me thinking: does anyone actually live in the village? I presume there
must be staff accomodation of some sort, but I've never seen it. Also,
there appears to be some houses on the drive and leading into the
village that could well be occupied by non-hotel guests.
All the available living spaces in the Village are now hotel or
self-catering accomodations.

Along the drive, some of the homes are owned by "Portmeirion" (whether
by the corp or by individuals in the corp, I don't know); some other
homes are privately owned.

redcat
Rick Davy
2005-10-04 15:45:34 UTC
Post by redcat
Post by s***@aol.com
It's a question that always seem to arise whenever I mention
Portmeirion to those not versed in its history or purpose. But it's got
me thinking: does anyone actually live in the village? I presume there
must be staff accomodation of some sort, but I've never seen it. Also,
there appears to be some houses on the drive and leading into the
village that could well be occupied by non-hotel guests.
All the available living spaces in the Village are now hotel or
self-catering accomodations.
Along the drive, some of the homes are owned by "Portmeirion" (whether
by the corp or by individuals in the corp, I don't know); some other
homes are privately owned.
redcat
The gardener in the 1990s lived in lower arches (behind the ice cream shop).
Is this now just storage space?

Rick
redcat
2005-10-04 15:46:17 UTC
Post by Rick Davy
The gardener in the 1990s lived in lower arches (behind the ice cream shop).
Is this now just storage space?
Rick
It's a guest accomodation.

redcat
roger
2005-10-04 15:49:47 UTC
Post by Rick Davy
The gardener in the 1990s lived in lower arches (behind the ice cream shop).
Is this now just storage space?
It's a guest accommodation.
I remember his wife telling me that she wanted to run a small business from
home but that she was prevented from doing so, as Portmeirion would have
been in the address and her business might have been associated with the
Village's.
redcat
2005-10-04 16:00:32 UTC
Post by roger
Post by Rick Davy
The gardener in the 1990s lived in lower arches (behind the ice cream shop).
Is this now just storage space?
It's a guest accommodation.
I remember his wife telling me that she wanted to run a small business from
home but that she was prevented from doing so, as Portmeirion would have
been in the address and her business might have been associated with the
Village's.
I would think she could have gotten a Porth or Pennrhyn P.O. Box number
for business correspondence, as well as a separate telephone number,
which didn't go through the Village switchboard.

redcat
g***@aol.com
2005-10-04 16:14:07 UTC
Post by redcat
Post by Rick Davy
The gardener in the 1990s lived in lower arches (behind the ice cream shop).
Is this now just storage space?
Rick
It's a guest accomodation.
redcat
Lower Arches is (or was in May last year) staff changing room, rest
room, showers etc. It's probably the only bit of potential guest
accommodation (except the former bedroom in the Campanile) that isn't
used as such.

The buildings on (or near) the drive are (starting at Castell Deudraeth
and heading towards the village - all on the left-hand side):
1. Cae Canol, diagonally opposite the Castell, the former stable block
and home farm of Catell Deudraeth, it forms several houses with
different names including Iard y Castell (Castle Yard)
2. A shelter dating from the 1960s
3. The White Cottage (Now called Dorlan Goch). Occupied by Robin
Llywelyn, who therefore has only a short walk to work in the morning,
the lucky git.
4. Porth Y Castell, set well back from the road near the cliff edge.
Built 1950s by Clough, in full Portmeirion style. It was sold
(apparently freehold) in the 1970s and I don't know whether it now
belongs to Portmeirion or not. My dream house.
5. Coed Mor, also by Clough, a little pavilion, not unlike Unicorn
cottage in having a very plain back (towards the drive) and a rather
grand front with a portico overlooking the estuary.
Then the main car park, gates, and the village proper.

Also by Clough is Hafod Cae Maen, a whitewashed Arts and Crafts-style
house, probably 1930s, on the old back drive (if you go out of the
village through the Triumphal Arch and turn 1st left, you see which way
the drive goes - it's blocked by a gate and getting to the other side
involves a complicated trek via the car park.

The last permanent resident of Portmeirion proper was Max Hora. In the
more distant past there were several cottages that were more-or-less
permanently occupied by the same people, and Clough expressed the hope
early on that there would always be a small permanent community in the
village. I think the last of the live-in staff moved out in the 1980s,
if not before, and exactly which buildings were used for staff
accommodation isn't clear (at one stage Gatehouse was the manager's
house, for instance).

Gareth
redcat
2005-10-04 16:43:57 UTC
Post by g***@aol.com
Post by redcat
Post by Rick Davy
[...]
I don't think Max was the last resident. I believe that honor goes to
Mr. Brown.

redcat
Alan Jones
2005-10-04 16:26:57 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
It's a question that always seem to arise whenever I mention
Portmeirion to those not versed in its history or purpose. But it's got
me thinking: does anyone actually live in the village? I presume there
must be staff accomodation of some sort, but I've never seen it. Also,
there appears to be some houses on the drive and leading into the
village that could well be occupied by non-hotel guests.
As far as I know, Simon, no-one actually lives full-time in the village,
though I am quite prepared to be corrected on this.

The houses along the drive are private homes. One or two occasionally appear
up for sale at quite high prices. They are nothing to do with Portmeiron.

The last person to live in Portmeirion full time, as it were, was the
not-so-ace spy and friend betrayer, Max Hora.

--
Al

Calm down, dear. It's only the Interweb!
Alan Jones
2005-10-04 16:31:19 UTC
Post by Alan Jones
The houses along the drive are private homes. One or two occasionally appear
up for sale at quite high prices. They are nothing to do with Portmeiron.
Oops! I really should read all the threads before posting!

OK, *some* of the houses are nothing to do with Portmeirion!

roger
2005-10-04 16:33:46 UTC
Post by Alan Jones
Oops! I really should read all the threads before posting!
'Salright. Someone's gotta take over that job from Frankymole ...
:-)
Alan Jones
2005-10-04 16:38:41 UTC
Post by roger
Post by Alan Jones
Oops! I really should read all the threads before posting!
'Salright. Someone's gotta take over that job from Frankymole ...
:-)
Yes, I've read them all now though. I'm assuming that they have less to do
with Portmeiron, the further along the drive, towards Minffordd, you, er...
drive?

roger
2005-10-04 16:41:20 UTC
They're still enviable properties, aren't they? That view ...
s***@aol.com
2005-10-04 17:55:03 UTC
Thanks guys for such a lovely roll of replies. Mr Gareth, I bow down in
the presence of your immense knowledge, I really do...

Si
Alan Jones
2005-10-04 18:44:17 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Thanks guys for such a lovely roll of replies. Mr Gareth, I bow down in
the presence of your immense knowledge, I really do...
Si
Yes, when it comes to Portmeirion, he's the man!

I always enjoy reading Gareth's Portmeirion posts as he is so knowledgeable
and passionate on the subject.

Counting the days until *my* next visit. Only a month now!

--
Al

http://www.thepennyfarthing.com
Rick Davy
2005-10-04 21:04:56 UTC
Post by s***@aol.com
Thanks guys for such a lovely roll of replies. Mr Gareth, I bow down in
the presence of your immense knowledge, I really do...
Si
Yes, I concur. I always like to see a PM thread on the group (until the
abusive and offensive trolls join in) as it means Gareth is likely to post.
Superb knowledge!

Rick
roger
2005-10-04 21:22:30 UTC
Post by Rick Davy
Yes, I concur. I always like to see a PM thread on the group (until the
abusive and offensive trolls join in) as it means Gareth is likely to post.
Superb knowledge!
I know it sounds twee but, when we have Gordon posting her pointless prattle
on a daily basis, what about, as an antidote, a 'Portmeirion Thought for the
Day' from Gareth (or indeed another)? Well, maybe not quite so Patience
Strong but it would probably be a regular thread-starter and we need no
excuse to revisit the topic.
vendy
2005-10-07 02:55:05 UTC
Alan Jones
2005-10-04 19:26:40 UTC
Post by roger
Post by Alan Jones
Yes, I've read them all now though. I'm assuming that they have less to do
with Portmeiron, the further along the drive, towards Minffordd, you, er...
drive?
They're still enviable properties, aren't they? That view ...
Yes it is beautiful, though there may be some who would prefer a view of
Portmeirion.

So, here's a question...

Any houses, other than perhaps the farmhouse at Ynys, that have a view of
the village?

Jill Mills
2005-10-04 19:31:43 UTC
Post by Alan Jones
Post by roger
Post by Alan Jones
with Portmeiron, the further along the drive, towards Minffordd, you, er...
drive?
They're still enviable properties, aren't they? That view ...
Yes it is beautiful, though there may be some who would prefer a view of
Portmeirion.
So, here's a question...
Any houses, other than perhaps the farmhouse at Ynys, that have a view of
the village?
--
Al
Calm down, dear. It's only the Interweb!
I looked at a house for sale on the other side of that stretch of water that
had a view of Portmeirion from its front lawn.

It was not considered sufficient reason for purchase by the rest of the
family, though...

Jill
roger
2005-10-04 19:41:00 UTC
The uppermost dwellings in Harlech have a view - admittedly on a clear day!
Sphinx601
2005-10-04 18:56:29 UTC
Oops! I really should read all the threads before >>posting!
'Salright. Someone's gotta take over that job from >Frankymole ...
You got your way, he's left this group, now leave HIM be OK??????

SPHINX
unknown
2005-10-05 09:39:48 UTC
Post by Alan Jones
up for sale at quite high prices. They are nothing to do with Portmeiron.
Oops! I really should read all the threads before posting!
OK, *some* of the houses are nothing to do with Portmeirion!
When I was in the Village last year I noticed a couple of signs
stating that some of the houses were private property. That was in
October and things may have changed.

And the signs may have been out of date!
roger
2005-10-05 09:52:20 UTC
Post by unknown
When I was in the Village last year I noticed a couple of signs
stating that some of the houses were private property.
I think that means 'Private' in terms of 'Residents Only' to stop the day
visitors (or poor people) intruding on the Hotel's self-catering guests.
unknown
2005-10-08 02:05:59 UTC
Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of "roger"
Post by roger
Post by unknown
When I was in the Village last year I noticed a couple of signs
stating that some of the houses were private property.
I think that means 'Private' in terms of 'Residents Only' to stop the day
visitors (or poor people) intruding on the Hotel's self-catering guests.
And slightly dishevelled tourists like myself.

Poss.
"As a scientist, I'm constantly working with materials that threaten
life on a global scale, and, sometimes, they spill..." -Dr. Forrester
David Mackenzie
2005-10-08 12:40:08 UTC
Post by roger
Post by unknown
When I was in the Village last year I noticed a couple of signs
stating that some of the houses were private property.
I think that means 'Private' in terms of 'Residents Only' to stop the day
visitors (or poor people) intruding on the Hotel's self-catering guests.
And slightly dishevelled tourists like myself.
I'm slightly dishevelled whether I'm a day visitor or a hotel
resident.
--
David ( @priz.co.uk )
alt.tv.prisoner - no more than 5% nut.
Read Frank's FAQ: http://www.web-sighted.co.uk/franks/faq.html
Sphinx601
2005-10-04 18:43:48 UTC
You mean to tell me you Unmutuals don't live in the Village?? You behave
like you do. Last week a man named Walter Wolfgang was thrown out of the
Labour Party Rally just for shouting the word NONSENSE at Jack Straw,this
is JUST THE SAME to the treatment given by your people to Frankymole,
banning him from the secret Unmutual group list!! The media CONDEMNED
Labour for their fascist bullying, why isnt there an outcry here over the
bullying Frank received?????????

SPHINX
A.N.Other
2005-10-04 19:08:19 UTC
Post by Sphinx601
You mean to tell me you Unmutuals don't live in the Village?? You behave
like you do. Last week a man named Walter Wolfgang was thrown out of the
Labour Party Rally just for shouting the word NONSENSE at Jack Straw,this
is JUST THE SAME to the treatment given by your people to Frankymole,
banning him from the secret Unmutual group list!! The media CONDEMNED
Labour for their fascist bullying, why isnt there an outcry here over the
bullying Frank received?????????
SPHINX
Mr Wolfgang was a German wartime refugee, whereas Frank would be more
comparable to a member of the East German Stazi who spied on his mates
and grassed them up to the authorities.
--
Does what it says on the tin.

"May cause nausea and vomiting."